Unstructured Supplementary Service Data (USSD) codes, also called “quick codes” or “feature codes” are an unbelievably easy way to directly communicate with a mobile network operator’s computers from any cellphone – smartphone or less-smart phone.
Even if apps might have taken the focus away from this simple way to carry out a range of services without having to speak to an operator, USSD codes have not lost their purpose, and simply keeping a list of the available USSD codes handy can allow you to easily take control of a host of functions relating to your contract or prepaid service with Vodacom.
Here are some USSD codes that Vodacom clients may find useful – and they’ll save you time and airtime!
Practical USSD codes
• *135# – Access the main USSD menu
• *135# – See what WASP or content services you are subscribed to
• *#06# – See your device’s IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity number: this is the 15 or 17-digit number that uniquely identifies your mobile handset), mostly used for insurance and blacklisting purposes
• *111*501# – See your MSISDN (Mobile Station International Subscriber Directory Number, or just an industry name for your cellphone number)
Airtime and network-related queries
• *136# – Check your airtime balance
• *136*01*Recharge PIN# – Recharge with prepaid airtime
• *140*02*MSISDN# – Request airtime from another user (enter their cell number in the area marked MSISDN)
• *135*072# – Send airtime to another user
• *135*082# – Airtime advance – get airtime when you need it most and pay later
• *140*MSISDN# – Send a “Please Call Me” to another cellphone user (enter the user’s cell number between the star and hash, marked MSISDN)
• *135# – Change to another prepaid plan